Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Bond Between Transit and a Girl

My Dearest ETS,

I don't say it nearly enough, so I just wanted to you write you a quick note to let you know how much I love and appreciate you. We may have been kept apart during my younger years from my parents who always insisted on taking me around the city themselves, but I think that throughout our relationship, we have proven that a bond between transit and a girl is stronger than anything—even the BO of that unfortunate man who always took the 180 to Londonderry with me. Well, you remember, you were there.

One of my earliest memories of us is from when I was 14, and nervous about going to Whyte Ave with you. I brought Kaitlyn along as a buffer, but I didn't really need her since the 3 transfers it took to get there were simple. You were so polite and timid, staying on time the whole way and helping me make sure I got to the right place. After that first hour and a half bus ride, I knew we were meant to be and couldn't wait to head back to the North side with you. Sure my mom would have gotten me there in 25 minutes, but as we both know, romance takes time.

When I started high school you picked me up right outside my crescent and dropped me off at the doors of my school. You never wanted me to leave and some days you even playfully refused to let me off near my house even after I yelled at you. But the five minutes added to my walk was worth the extra 30 seconds with you. I even forgive you for coming early and leaving impatiently without me all those times—we were so young then.

I knew you were the one after The Great Fight of 2008. I was an independent university student, and when I started to drive early in the year, I didn't spend enough time with you until it got to the point that we didn't see each other at all that summer. When I came crawling back in September, you welcomed me with open doors and brought me to school, although you still do make me walk that extra 15 minutes for a ride. You've told me it's for the benefit of keeping off the Freshman 15, and it's so nice to know you have my best interests at heart. My favourite time with you is the 10 minute wait we have at Westmount every day on the 128. It's nice to take a breather in the long, winding trek you take from Castledowns to the University, and it's fun watching everyone run around like busy little ants with things to do as we take the time to sit and admire the unique Edmonton aesthetic behind Westmount Mall.

I will be honest with you, I was really excited to see you after my night class yesterday, and I waited outside for you as soon as class was dismissed. My eyes scanned the far side of campus, looking for you to turn the corner at St. Joe's to come get me, but it soon became apparent you weren't coming. When you finally showed up half an hour late, you were anxious and in a hurry—you hit every pot hole and skidded on every patch of ice while you regularly smacked your right side into the snow drifts lining the side of the road. I felt so nauseous I wasn't sure if I would last the ride without being sick. I left without saying goodbye. You let me down, and had no explanation for me.

Tonight, I hoped to reconnect with you after I finished studying late on campus. At 9:45 I was ready for you—early, and you know how hard that is for me. You didn't show up. Again. After standing outside for 25 minutes in the quickly dropping temperatures, a taxi pulled up to the side of the road where I was standing with it's top light on trying to proposition me to pay for it's overpriced services. My toes had reached subzero temperatures, but as I looked at the taxi, I knew I would never get in. I would wait for you, even if it took an hour. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I know we disagree on a lot of things, like where to go and how to get there. But I'm learning to compromise. I'm even starting to understand why you don't like going out late at night. No matter how angry I get with you, I want you to know that you're the transit system for me. Even when I say ridiculous things like “I'm moving to Vancouver where the bus service doesn't totally suck!” or “Why can't the LRT run in more than two directions like every other city in the world?,” I'm not being serious. You're amazing, and I'll be ready and waiting for you tomorrow whenever you're ready to show up.

Love,

Danielle

1 comment:

  1. If there was a "like" button on these posts, I would press it.

    ReplyDelete